Basal thermometers and how to use them for fertility
We thought it would be worth covering this subject as we have had a few customer service queries recently concerning basal thermometers and how they should be used.
Here are our tips to using basal temperature to monitor fertility:
- The basal temperature increases and stay elevated once ovulation occurs.
- Use a high accuracy digital thermometer that has two decimal places
- A fahrenheit thermometer thermometer is best if you can get one
- We have found that the mouth, under the tongue, is the most reliable place to take the temperature.
- Take the temperature first thing in the morning before rising from your bed.
- Do not drink anything before you take the temperature
- Place the thermometer under the tongue and leave it there keeping your tongue firmly pressed on it and still until it bleeps indicating it has reached a steady temperature. This make take several minutes.
- Take the temperature at the same time each day. It may be worth setting your alarm.
- Basal temperature means your resting temperature so it must be the first thing you do as soon as you wake up.
- Keep a record of your basal temperature on a chart each day
- After the first month you will start to see a pattern which should help you to know when your fertile time is.