Five tips to increase success rate when you have IVF
- Seek help early, particularly if you are oven 35 years of age. Success rates for IVF reduce considerably as you get older. If you have been trying to conceive for over 12 months without success you should make an appointment to discuss it with your doctor. If you are over 35 seek help earlier.
- Pick the best clinic you can. Its worth doing your research particularly if you are going privately, or your GP gives you a choice of more than one clinic for an NHS referral. IVF success rates do vary from clinic to clinic so if you are given a choice, try to pick the one with the best outcomes.
- Great sperm quality -If you are using your partners sperm there re lots of things he can do to make sure that they are in tip top condition. Read our male fertility tips
- Look after your own physical and mental health so that you are in the best possible place that you can be health wise. If you smoke now is the time to give up and focus on a healthy whole food diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. If you are overweight or underweight now is the perfect time to get to a healthy weight. Being either overweight or underweight affects ovulation and can can reduce the chances of success. Moderate exercise is good but avoid extreme over exercising as this can reduce your fertility. make sure you get plenty of good quality sleep and make time for relaxation. Now is a good time to take up meditation.
- Alternative therapies-it may be worth considering alternative medicine as a support to your IVF. A course of Acupuncture has been shown to increase success rates in assisted reproduction in some clinical studies, if done at the right time. Ask the IVF clinic that you have been referred to for their recommendations as they may have local contacts that they work with.