Skip to content
Urine dipstick testing
Testing urine with a urine dipstick
- Urine dipstick testing is a simple and quick way to screen urine for many health conditions
- The most popular type of urine dipstick is the type shown above which are multi-test urine testing strips that test for 10 parameters
What are urine dipstick tests used for
- A urine dipstick test is used to screen urine for many common medical conditions including diabetes, ketosis, liver disease, and urinary tract infections including cystitis
- Urine dipsticks are also available to screen urine for drugs
- Urine test strips are suitable for self testing or professional medical use
- See our full range of urine testing strips
How to use a urine dipstick test strip
- Always read the instructions supplied with the urine test strips prior to commencing the test as the read time ie the time the result is read may vary between brands
- Collect a urine sample in a clean container
- If the urine sample is being tested for infection, you may wish to send it to the lab for further tests, so in this case a sterile urine container should be used.
- To perform the test you simply dip the test strip in the urine sample for the designated time
- Then remove the urine test strip and lay it flat
- Read the results after a couple of minutes
How to read the results on a urine dipstick
- There is a simple colour comparison charts on side of each pot of urine test strips for each parameter
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.