Can you check cholesterol at home?
Yes, you can check your cholesterol levels at home using a cholesterol home testing kit and a meter. These cholesterol test kits are available over the counter at pharmacies and online. They typically include a lancet to prick your finger, test strips, and a meter to measure your cholesterol levels.
How easy is it to check your own cholesterol levels?
The advantage of checking your cholesterol levels at home is its quick and easy to do and the results are available immediately. However it's important to mention that to perform a home cholesterol test you do need to be comfortable with obtaining the finger prick blood sample yourself or letting your partner do it. If you do not think you will be able to do this, you may be better arranging to have a cholesterol check at your doctors surgery.
Here's a general overview of how the process of checking your blood cholesterol at home works:
- Purchase a cholesterol home testing kit: You can find various brands and types of home cholesterol testing kits available for purchase. We have a range of highly accurate and reliable cholesterol test kits meters for sale online
- Follow the instructions: Each home cholesterol test kit may have slightly different instructions, so be sure to read and follow them carefully. Generally, you'll need to clean your finger with an alcohol swab, use the lancet to draw a small drop of blood, and then apply the blood to the test strip. All the cholesterol meters that we stock have accompanying videos that we have made to show you exactly how to use them . If you have any questions are customer support team are available to advise you Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.
- Obtaining the blood sample:Using an auto lancing device as shown in the picture above can make the finger prick process easier.
- Insert the test strip into the meter: Place the cholesterol test strip into the meter or device provided in the kit.
- Wait for the results: The meter will quickly analyse your blood sample and display your cholesterol levels on a screen. Results are typically available within a few minutes.
- Interpret the results: The results will show your total cholesterol level, and some of the kits may also provide information on LDL (bad) cholesterol and HDL (good) cholesterol levels. Compare your results to recommended cholesterol levels which are widely available online and may be included with the instruction manual for the meter.
Are home cholesterol tests as accurate as the cholesterol test that your doctor does?
It's important to note that while home cholesterol testing kits can provide a convenient way to monitor your cholesterol levels, they may not be as accurate as laboratory tests conducted by healthcare professionals. For more accurate and comprehensive cholesterol testing and interpretation, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare provider. Additionally, if you have a medical condition or are on medication for cholesterol management, it's essential to follow your doctor's recommendations and undergo regular cholesterol testing as advised. A home cholesterol test meter can be a useful tool for you to check your blood cholesterol levels periodically or for monitoring your response to cholesterol management or treatment. It can also help motivate you to stick to a cholesterol reducing diet or exercise program.