Rapid urine tests
The most common type of urine tests that are performed are using rapid urine test strips or urine test kits that detect chemicals or hormones in the urine and measure such other things as ph of the urine.
Common types of urine tests:
- Urine reagent test strips also known as URS are frequently used by doctors and nurses in GP surgeries and hospitals to detect up to 10 parameters in the urine sample. The 10 parameters screened for by a URS10 are: glucose, ketones, specific gravity, blood, pH, protein, nitrite, bilirubin, urobilinogen, leucocytes (white blood cells). They can be used to screen for multiple health conditions and diseases including cystitis, urinary tract infection, liver problems, kidney disease, diabetes, ketosis, and dehydration to name just a few. They are also known as urine dipping sticks.
- Urine pregnancy test kits and pregnancy test strips. Screen urine for a hormone beta hcg which is secreted in high levels in early pregnancy. Are available in two sensitivities the standard 25miu hcg pregnancy test kit and the ultra sensitive early detection 10miu hcg pregnancy test.
- Urine ovulation tests-measure the level of a hormone called luteinising hormone in a urine sample. This hormone is released in high levels just prior to ovulation. The LH test strips detect this high level known as the LH surge.
- Urine drug test kits and strips-used widely in workplace drug testing, recovery and occupational health to screen for drugs of abuse. There is an ever increasing number of drugs that can be screened for on a urine drug test including Cannabis, Cocaine, Opiates , Amphetamine, Ecstacy, Ketamine, Methamphetamine, Methadone, Buprenorphine, Benzodiazepines, PCP (phencyclidine), Oxycodone , Tramadol, K2-K3 synthetic Cannabis 25ng/mL, Fentanyl, Methaqualone, PPX , MCAT, AB-PINICA synthetic THC, Cannabinol, Cathinone, Carfentanyl, EDDP, Gabapentin, Meperidine, Methylenedioxypyrovalerone, 6-monoacetylmorphine, Propoxyphene, Trazadone, Tricyclic Antidepressants and Zolpidem
- Urine ETG test strips-used to screen for ETG in urine which is a byproduct of alcohol. Also known as the 80 hour alcohol test although it actually only screens for up to 72 hours. Commonly used to screen alcoholics in recovery to make sure they are abstaining from alcohol.
- Urine cotinine tests screen for Cotinine in urine which is a byproduct of Nicotine. Cotinine test kits are used to screen individuals for smoking although they will also detect Nicotine in other forms such as vaping, patches and Nicotine gum. They are used in smoking cessation programmes, and may sometimes also be used in insurance medicals. A Cotinine test may also be performed before surgery, as smokers are at a higher risk of postoperative complications.
We have a wide range of urine tests available to buy online through this medical supplies website. If you need any help or assistance regarding urine testing or advice on which urine test will meet your needs, please contact our customer support team who will be happy to assist you.
If you any questions or feedback on this post 'what can be detected in a urine test' please pop them in comments.